9.08.2011

Perfect Case for Canon Powershot G12

Recently, I made the decision to sell all of my SLR equipment. Due to the large size and weight, I rarely used it and found myself cursing the decision to lug it all around on my last vacation.

My camera bag was loaded with a Nikon D80 with 18-55mm Nikon lens, Nikon 50mm 1.8, and Sigma 24-70 2.8. Besides this, I had my old 35mm N80 body with MB-16 grip lying around the house in their original boxes. Years of working in a camera shop lead to an accumulation of photo gear that I've been gradually parting with.

After a lot of research andcompleting my online auctions I chose the Canon Powershot G12 to be my replacement camera. While Iwanted to lighten my load, I wanted to keep manual control options. Having always been a Nikon user, switching to Canon was tough. But after comparing the G12 to the Nikon P7000 and talking to some experts the Canon won out.


Of course my old camera bag wouldn't do for this "small" camera. I checked the websites of some of the bag manufacturers that I like (Lowepro, Tamrac, Crumpler, Kata) and all carried something they said would work for the G12. But I'm picky and I was determined to find something that I could throw into a messenger bag and quickly pull my camera out of.

Luckily I stopped into several local shops, trying my camera out in the cases. Good thing I did! Most of the cases that supposedly accommodate the G12only do so after 2 minutes of struggle! The ones in which the camera did fit were very bulky, with all kinds of straps and handles attached.

Finally, I came upon an option by Manfrotto. Although I came across it online and no place locally carried it, I took my chances on the Stile Nano V. Not only was it photographed beside my camera, but it was just a simple looking casethat holds the camera horizontally not vertically. No straps. No zippers. Just a single belt loop on the back and one pocket inside.

So here's how my camera fits inside. If you own a G12 or plan on buying one, I also highly recommend ditching the cumbersome neck strap that comes with the camera and ordering the Canon WS-20 wrist strap. It's actually designed for Canon camcorders but works beautifully with the G12, making it a lot easier to point and click while maintaining a secure grasp on the camera.
The Manfrotto Stile Nano V is available in black, white, or bungee cord (shown here). It's made with water resistant fabric and the price is a steal at a price point UNDER $20! I picked mine up for $15.99 from B&H Photo.


No comments: