8.02.2011

Yoga Teacher Training, Four Years in the Making

So I'm finally doing it. I've enrolled in a 200-hour yoga teacher training in October! This has been four years in the making and I'm excited and nervous at the same time. Two weeks in Tulum in addition to all of the preliminary work and I'll be an RYT200.

My yoga practice began in the summer of 2007 when my friend and co-worker, Donna Jay Rubin, began leading a class in the upstairs gallery space of the restaurant where we work. Not only did I want to support my friend, but I also wanted to add some more exercise to my routine. At this time I was not interested in anything beyond the physical benefits yoga had to offer.

After about two classes I purchased a book about yoga so I could know the names of the poses and learn more about yogic principles. I quickly discovered that I was thinking and reacting differently to things throughout my day. Every class opened up some other aspect of yoga and I couldn't help but setout to learn more.

I continued to practice with Donna and started checking out classes at different studios around town but there was only one studio that was very close to my home. They only offered a few classes throughout the week but there I met Lori Brucato and became a regular at her Saturday morning class.

By 2008 I had a regular yoga practice and had become interested in doing a yoga teacher training, not necessarily to be a teacher but to further my own practice. One Saturday morning a young woman with tattoos and dreadlocks showed up for Lori's class. She had a strong practice and after class I introduced myself. Her name was Leah and it turned out that she was here from Toronto to help open a new hot studio in Crescent Springs called Moksha Yoga. Originally founded in Canada, the Moksha Yoga Northern Kentucky location was the first in the U.S.

I kept an eye out for this new studio and when it opened that summer I began what they call the "energy exchange" program. Participants work at the studio for a few hours per week in exchange for free classes. Leah and I became fast friends and I continue to do work-trade at Moksha.

My desire to do a yoga teacher training remained but I hadn't found the right program for me. Moksha seemed like an obvious choice, but it requires a month long training (not conducive to still having a job when you come home), usually in Canada. It also costs around $4000 and doesn't include accommodations, travel, or overall expenses for a month. Any yoga instructor will tell you they don't do it for the money. I just couldn't foresee a return on this kind of investment in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe someday they'll do a training locally?

All of the local trainings were one or two weekends per month for about a year. I don't have a 9-5 Monday through Friday type of work schedule so that was out too. I looked into doing a training at Kripalu or Omega with Dharma Mittra but I was nervous about very large class size and the possibility of sleeping in bunks with a lot of other people. I definitely need my own space and alone time! Kripalu and Omega both offer their own programs but they're about a month long. Training with Dharma Mittra in New York City at The Dharma Center was another option. It was only 6 days but cost around $3800, doesn't include accommodations, travel, or expenses. I also had concerns about being in a big unfamiliar city getting to and from the training center, finding places to eat, etc. I guess you could say I anticipated a lot of stress in addition to a very intense program.

So on a whim, I began a search for 2 week yoga teacher training programs. I came across a studio called Barefoot Works who leads a 2 week teacher training program in Tulum, México. As a very cautious person, it was a stroke of good luck that the studio is located in Lexington, Kentucky, which is less than two hours from where I live. I contacted Sharon Tessandori, the studio owner and arranged to come down and take a class and chat over coffee afterward.

First of all, the studio was very enchanting. I felt like I was in a treehouse! And as it happens, Sharon often refers to her space as such. The class was great, with many regular students in attendance. After class, Sharon and I walked to get a coffee. It turns out that Sharon
did her yoga teacher training with Anna Ferguson of World Peace Yoga in Cincinnati! I live in the Greater Cincinnati area and had taken classes with Anna and had friends who had gone through her training program.

When Sharon explained how her goal was to make the training in México small, well-rounded, and what she herself would consider a reasonable cost I was very interested. She pointed out that she is also someone who cherishes time alone and makes sure that all attendees have their own space. The cost of the program includes the 2 week stay at La Luna in Tulum and daily breakfasts. As we further discussed the details of the program and our own beliefs concerning yoga practice I felt like something clicked. But being cautious, I told Sharon I'd be in touch.

About a month later, after continuing to correspond with Sharon via e-mail, and discussing the program with friends and respected yoga instructors, I put down the deposit for the training. I've already finished allof my preliminary practice, class observation and reading hours. Now I'm just reading and practicing more and waiting for October to get here. The support I've received from friends, family, and my fellow yogis has been incredible.

I'm excited and nervous but I feel like this is something that's been a long time coming. Now that it's finally happening, I glad I didn't jump into a teacher training a year into my practice. I think that at this point I'll be a better teacher and will get more out of my training. I think this experience will be worth the wait.

No comments: