11.22.2011

Taking a Chance


On Thursday I gave my notice at the environmentally conscious beauty company where I've worked for the past two years. For a retail job in an upscale mall, the work itself isn't terrible. I make a decent hourly wage, get an insane discount on products, and have medical and dental insurance and 401k. The company even offers partial tuition reimbursement. My co-workers are wonderful and so are the guests who shop at the store.

So what's the problem?! And did I mention I don't have another job lined up?

The problem is that over the two years that I've been with the company, they've been transitioning to a more and more aggressive sales model. Meeting or exceeding sales goals results in being screamed at or shamed via e-mail or conference call by the marketing manager because we didn't increase the transactions over last year or our average sale wasn't $46. For me, it all feels very pushy and insincere so it's time for me to make a change.

This is not to say it's a bad company. It's only that it's not the type of work for me. I'm sure it's an ideal job for some. And that's why I'm not mentioning the company by name. I hold no hard feelings and I don't wish to burn any bridges.

So now I'm trying to teach yoga. I completed RYT-200 hour yoga teacher training in October and had initially planned to just try to secure two classes per week in addition to my full time job. Since I'll soon have a lot more freedom I'm more actively pursuing teaching jobs, whether it's group classes, workshops or private instruction.

Never having been someone who would quit a job without having another one and being very responsible in general, I'm surprised at how right this feels and how supportive family and friends have been. Normally, I'm not someone who sees signs in everything. Not that I don't believe in them, maybe it's just that sort of things doesn't happen to me, except on the day I gave my notice.

The morning I had decided to talk to my manager about leaving I was opening the store alone for a couple of hours. One of the first guests to come in was Rachel, the owner of The Yoga Bar, one of my favorite studios in Cincinnati. Later that afternoon after speaking to my manager about my plans, one of our regular guests who I normally help and happens to be into yoga, came into the store and told me about a place looking to possibly add new instructors.

I had contacted my supervisor at the museum where I volunteer a week or so earlier about opportunities to hold a class there. During my lunch break I received a reply e-mail from her. Then to top it all off, when I returned to the store from my break, who was standing there but one of my early yoga teachers and friend, Lori!

All of those chance encounters made me feel at ease with my decision. Of course all of the "what-if's" have occurred to me. I'm still expecting to wake up one morning in a panic but so far that hasn't happened. The freedom I now feel and the gratitude for those who have guided and encouraged me surpasses any doubts.

Wish me luck!




"We should never lose sight of this and simply settle for little things. Never. That is not good business. Don't settle for these tiny, tiny things...

Sometimes they come and tempt you, "Hey, come on, I am here, I am here. Use me." Say, "No; my purpose is something different. I am going straight ahead"...

Never, never settle for these little things. Our goal is something very high. It is eternal peace, eternal joy. Don't settle for a little peace, for a little joy, for petty happiness".
-Sri Swami Satchidananda, "The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali" 3.56

2 comments:

John Y said...

you MUST have a very supportive & handsome other-half?

John Y said...

you MUST have a very supportive & handsome other-half?